Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: 4.3.0 - Repo Issues with regard transformations with logging set

Question 4.3.0 - Repo Issues with regard transformations with logging set

Hi,

I am trying to convert to using a repo under 4.3.0 and I seem to be having issues. Sometimes I can run jobs OK other time executing the job from the repo - the job just hangs.

I think I have narrowed it down to whether the transformations originally had logging setup or not before I imported it. If the transformation had logging then I have to disable it and vice versa.

I have also had the situation where by a newly created job/transformation run OK one day but not the next and I have to set/unset the logging option on the transformation to get it to work.

This does not inspire confidence in using a repo.

Is this a know issue?

Thanks,
    Last edited by tnewman; 05-18-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Hey tnewman,

If you have a good reproduction path (demo ktr), please file a bug over at http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI and we'll look into it!

Best
    Slawo

Hi Slawo,

I am slowly converting all my job to repo and will let you know when I come up against this again.

Thanks,

Hi Slawo,

After some more investigation I am pretty sure the issue occurs when I open a job developed in 4.1.0 and trying to run in 4.3.0.

In 4.1.0, I have a job logging unchecked but with the default loglevel of 'nothing at all'. I also have a sub job that *has* a logging file specified but the loglevel of 'nothing at all.

The only way I can get the job to run in 4.3.0 is to *set* the job logging for the main job with a loglevel that is not 'nothing at all' AND set the sub job logging to a loglevel that is not 'nothing at all'.

Seems to only happen when you have a sitaution of a job within a job.

Seems the there is not backward compatibilty as far a job logging is concerned??

Thanks,

What type of repository are you using? Database or Enterprise Edition?
    How did you export / import your transformations / jobs?
    Any chance of getting a sample for reproduction?

Thanks,
    Jens

Hi Jens,

It does not matter whether I use a file or a job stored in a repo but I am using a mysql repo (version 5.2.9). I import the file using the standard import function provided.

To make it a little clearer (3 levels of jobs) :-

In 4.1.0 : job -> sub-job (no logging) -> sub_job (logging - set to 'nothing') - Runs OK using 4.1.0 libraries

In 4.3.0 : job -> sub-job (has to have logging set) -> sub_job (has to have logging set to 'basic') - Only run OK with this setup using 4.3.0 libraries.

I will need to edit the job before I can provide a sample - Will try and get sample tomorrow.

Thanks