Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Automation Pentaho analysis view to excel

Default Automation Pentaho analysis view to excel

Hi, I have some mondrian's reports that I want send to my users how excel attachments. Someone have an idea how i can develop a solution for that.

If you want to automate the sending of reports that use mondrian, you may investigate using Pentaho Data Integration. You can use an OLAP or Mondrian input step, and then have an Excel output step send information to a file. The whole job can grab the Excel file and email it out to whomever you want. You can introduce a way to maintain a recipient list etc.

You could also make a Pentaho Report Designer report using an MDX query, setting the output type to Excel. Then schedule an xaction to run the prpt and email it.

You could also use Ctools - CDA (Community Data Access), where a data source uses an MDX query to bring back a result. You can have it generate an output file on demand 'doquery' method.

CDF (Community Dashboard Framework) - part of ctools, can allow the creation of a dashboard with an export to Excel button too. You can think of any number of clever ways to make a dashboard fire off reports as Excel sheets to users.

PDI may be the easiest and most contained way to do everything in one spot though. Just depends on what you need.