Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: PDI 4.3 GA executable load times excessive

Unhappy PDI 4.3 GA executable load times excessive

I just downloaded PDI 4.3 GA and found that starting up spoon and kitchen is taking at least 1-2 mins. My transformations actually run in less time that it takes to start up. Does anyone else have this issue?

The environment is as follows:
    Windows 7 (64-bit)
    JRE 1.6 Build 32 64-bit
    2xQuad Core CPU
    8GB RAM (2GB allocated to PDI JVM)

It is unacceptable if I'm trying to run near real-time refreshes.

It is unacceptable if I'm trying to run near real-time refreshes.
    Don't use Spoon (the GUI) but use pan or kitchen (command line).
    Especially if you have to run a job/transformation at specific intervals then you should better create a batch file (in Win) that launches pan/kitchen.

Mick

I am using kitchen called with a batch file.... My original post says both kitchen and spoon are taking an excessive amount of time to load.

That's indeed excessive. We're working on trimming down the startup time of Spoon from something like 10 seconds down to 2. Minutes of start-up time is either an exageration on your behalf or a special setup problem.
    So I would try to see if you perhaps have a bunch of JRE's installed and I would try to remove all un-used plugins (that always helps) from the plugins/ folder.

For real-time stuff you best set up a never-ending job or something like that.

I timed it once more and it took 1:04.1 I'm using only one JRE which is specified in the PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME environment variable. I'll try the plug-ins removal to see if that helps out. It didn't (and still don't) have this issue with the preview release of 4.3 so there must be some changes in the GA (or plug-ins delivered with it) that have caused it.

On certain occasions I've seen the Agile BI embedded web server time out, that could cause it. You'll see if you remove the Agile-BI plugin. Perhaps it's caused by a specific network configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by MattCasters View Post
    On certain occasions I've seen the Agile BI embedded web server time out, that could cause it. You'll see if you remove the Agile-BI plugin. Perhaps it's caused by a specific network configuration?
    Yes! Dumping the Agile-BI plugin put the time down to 5 sec...thanks Matt! I do have a tomcat instance on the machine so they probably have conflicting configurations. Nice to see that the management still hasn't forgotten how their product works

Like I said, we're working on solving the issue :-)

Was just running through the forum as I had similar problems. Apparently it is the agile BI plugin causing it to run slow. Suggestions are to remove it.