Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Kettle transformation as data source in CDE

Default Kettle transformation as data source in CDE

Hello,

I'd like display contents stored in a CSV file in a table component on my dashboard. As a data source I defined a Kettle transformation which loads the data using a "csv file input" step. But unfortunately I'm not sure how to call the transformation in CDE.
    First of all I tried to copy the kettle transformation file into a sub folder of the solutions folder and typed in its name as "Directory" in the "Kettle transformation" . Furthermore I typed in the filename of the transformation and the csv file input as "ImportStep". In a last step I defined the table component and linked it with the data source. But unfortunately not data is displayed. Is my proceeding wrong?

The way I would prefer is to call the transformation out of the Kettle database repository. Therefore I configured the settings.xml file in pentaho-solutions/system/kettle. But also this approach did not work.

I hope anybody can help me.

I know that I could load the contents of the CSV file into a database table first and read the contents from the table. But in this case this is not and option.

Thanks and best regards,

rudolph

Use the filesystem. Put that in the same directory of your dashboard or a subfolder. Use the filepicker to select the ktr. In the query property, use the name of the step you want to extract.

Should just work (TM)

(there's a cda sample with a kettle transformation, see how it works and just mimic that)
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

Thank you very much pmalves. It is working fine with the "kettle over kettle TransFromFile" data source.

Regards,

rudolph

Hi Rudolph,

Need your help on the
    "kettle over kettle TransFromFile" data source
    I have placed my ktr file to Pentaho Solution directory and use filepicker to select the ktr file in
    "kettle over kettle TransFromFile" data source but its displaying only header variable in dashboard. Attaching the screenshot for your reference.

Kindly help me out

Thanks,
    Karthik.K
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by kkarthik View Post
    Hi Rudolph,

Need your help on the
    "kettle over kettle TransFromFile" data source
    I have placed my ktr file to Pentaho Solution directory and use filepicker to select the ktr file in
    "kettle over kettle TransFromFile" data source but its displaying only header variable in dashboard. Attaching the screenshot for your reference.

Kindly help me out

Thanks,
    Karthik.K

Exactly the same problem I am getting... I've written a simple .ktr file but unable to fetch the data .. How can I do that ?
    I also getting the field names but no data..
    Pedro what's your suggestion for us ?
    I'm newbie to kettle transformation and job..

I've fired the same issue in another comment here http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...in-pentaho-CDE

Could you please suggest me where I am missing in it ?

Many thanks in Advance

Hello Sir,

I am trying to use the kettle over kettleTransform option and select the .ktr file from my hard disk. I have placed the .ktr file in C:\Pentaho\server\data-integration-server\pentaho-solutions\system\default-content\samples\public\bi-developers\etl but my .ktr doent show up in the file picker, is there any other path that the file should be placed.Please help me with this issue.'

Thanks
    Yashwanth

Quote Originally Posted by pmalves View Post
    Use the filesystem. Put that in the same directory of your dashboard or a subfolder. Use the filepicker to select the ktr. In the query property, use the name of the step you want to extract.

Should just work (TM)

(there's a cda sample with a kettle transformation, see how it works and just mimic that)

Upload the KTR file from PUC(Pentaho User Console) [Assuming you are using 5.0.1 CE stable]then, locate that .ktr file in your CDE dashboard

Hey Guys,

Can someone please let us know a way to pass parameters to the kettle over kettle Transform datasource step. We tried the way we pass parameters to a datasource but it is not giving the expected output based on the passed parameter. Can someone please let us know a solution for this.

Thanks in advance,
    gajendra

Quote Originally Posted by pmalves View Post

Should just work (TM)

where to keep KTR file?
    I created one folder inside \biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions and kept it.
    but not able to see it.
    So can you please guide me where should i keep KTR file so that i can access it using kettle over kettle TransFromFile inside Pentaho CDE?

Quote Originally Posted by gajendra.kushwah@walking View Post
    Hey Guys,

Can someone please let us know a way to pass parameters to the kettle over kettle Transform datasource step. We tried the way we pass parameters to a datasource but it is not giving the expected output based on the passed parameter. Can someone please let us know a solution for this.

Thanks in advance,
    gajendra

Any solution for this? I want to do the same!

Default Upload the KTR in PUC (Pentaho User Console)

Quote Originally Posted by workinghard View Post
    where to keep KTR file?
    I created one folder inside \biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions and kept it.
    but not able to see it.
    So can you please guide me where should I keep KTR file so that I can access it using kettle over kettle TransFromFile inside Pentaho CDE?
    Go to browse then to the folder where you have your dashboards upload the ktr there, fetch the ktr from file picker in kettle over kettle ... setp
    Last edited by IamAhmed; 09-15-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nothing View Post
    Any solution for this? I want to do the same!

Stuck up for 3 days and no solution for this? Need to pass parameter value from CDE kettle over kettle Trns... step to KTR table input where i have my query select * from table where column in (${parameter})..what can I do to achieve this?

Finally after 3 days of research and trying I successfully achieved the task of passing parameters to KTR from CDE

Quote Originally Posted by IamAhmed View Post
    Finally after 3 days of research and trying I successfully achieved the task of passing parameters to KTR from CDE
    Help others avoid the 3 days you just spent. Post your solution.

Lightbulb Passing Parameter to KTR from CDE

Hi All,

I was struggling to pass the parameter from CDE to KTR with Kettle Overstep, I was able to get fields but no records so in order to pass parameter and get values all you have to do is:

In your KTR go for CTRL+T in parameters tab give out your parameter don't give any default values as we are passing the parameter from CDE (Use get variable step to fetch your parameter)

(This is purely my analysis please correct me if I am wrong)

SETP1: As we know the parameter value from CDE is going from simple parameter to KTR so in Property Value of simple parameter give all your values which you want to filter out in my query my parameter was Gender (select * from table where Gender in (${Parameter}) ) here my possibilities are 'M','F' so in property value I have given 'M','F' this will return all the data (from step two you can pass your parameter and fetch your filtered data)

SETP2: Indata source panel use Select Component and give out your parameter in Parameter as well as in listeners and in values array ARG: Male Values: 'M' so this M is the parameter I am passing to KTR in my case ARG2: Female Value: 'F'. This step plays's a vital role as this passes out the parameter to KTR. Here if you select 'M' from you Dashboard CDE passes the parameter to KTR and I will only get values filtered by my parameter 'M'

STEP3: Kettle Step, so many of use says they unable to see their KTR even they placed in correct repository, all you have to do is go to PUC where your dashboard will be there create a new folder called KTR (anything you want) upload your KTR there some of you can't see even its uploaded as by default PUC hides it, so to unhide go to VIEW at top left check Show Hidden files. This is it! Now you can select your KTR from file picker and can even pass the parameter to KTR.

Suggestions are always welcome. Please do reply even after you are facing any difficulties, always READY to HELP!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by IamAhmed; 10-10-2017 at 07:29 AM.