Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Cannot open .prpt file after restarting Pentaho Report Maker

Default Cannot open .prpt file after restarting Pentaho Report Maker

I am having an issue reopening a .prpt file that previously worked in Pentaho Report Maker.

Basically when I restarted PRM there was a with my kettle-ds.xml file. After unzipping the .prpt file I made the repair and rezipped the file but am now receiving a 'Content is not allowed in prolog' error.

I know I am so close to recovering this file and keep reading about xml encoding and Pentaho but I'm not entirely sure what type of xml encoding Pentaho uses or how to change this. For the record I edited the
    kettle-ds.xml file on a Windows 7 machine with Notepad++ and cannot find any characters before the '<?xml'.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by palmetto274; 06-20-2012 at 08:43 AM.

We are using UTF-8 to encode files, as you can see when reading the "encoding" attribute of the "xml" processing instruction at the start of the file.

You were using a editor that was not aware of proper XML editing or that was not unicode aware. Get a real XML editor (or any editor that is able to handle UTF-8 encoded files properly) and try again.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Hi,

Please can you let me know how can I unzip a .prpt file make changes to it and zip it back again? I tried to do this using WinRAR but after archiving it again, the .prpt file does not open in Pentaho Report Designer and gives me the Unable to open the file as valid report definition

Hi Malavika,

PRD gives the following error "Unable to open the file as valid report definition" , when u saved the ziped file's archiveformat as "RAR".
    Please change the format to "ZIP" and Replace ".zip" to ".prpt" at Archive Name . this worked for me.

Cheers,
    Surya

A ZIP is not a RAR.Save it as a zip file.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Thank you for you reply.

I changed format to zip instead of RAR and it still gives me the same error. I tried WinRAR as well as 7-zip. I also tried doing this in the command line but it still gives me the same error.

Please can you state the steps and the tools used for doing this so I can follow the same and check if that works.

Thank you aga