Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Getting just the month (or day or year) from a DATEVALUE expression

Post Getting just the month (or day or year) from a DATEVALUE expression

I've looked in the info center and the wiki but haven't found the answer anywhere. I have a date which is a string which I use DATEVALUE to convert. I want to be able to format it to display something like dd MMM yyyy. How do I do that?

You mean format as if you would print said date into a date-field? Date-fields are great for formatting, give them your format-string and a valid date, and you are all set.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

thanks Taqua,

Following your advice, it took me a bit of time to figure it out and I encountered more questions, but it works great now! Thanks for the help.

I'l expand on your answer if you don't mind so that others can benefit from my mistakes. :-)

If the field from the DB is a string, even though it's a date, you cannot simply place the field on the form (which will be a string field) and then morph it to a date field. You have to build a DATEVALUE() function (Open Formula) containing the field from the DB and then drag that onto the report and then morph (Fomat > Morph) that into a date field. Once that's done you set the Format in the Attributes menu.

If you're like me and needed a refresher on date formats here's ya go:

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 10.32.55 PM.png
Views: 37
Size:  34.9 KB