Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Passing Parameters to expressions

Default Passing Parameters to expressions

Can I pass dynamic parameters to BSF/BSH?

I want to have details header as dates of a month, like 03/11 03/12 03/13 03/14 and so on

I have written BSF expression as:-
    Code:
    Calendar cal = Calendar.getInstance();
    cal.setTime((java.util.Date) dataRow.get("date_from"));
    cal.add(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH, 1);
    return cal.getTime();
    Here I'm adding one day, can I pass the number of days to be added to the expression?

To be honest, you dont even need scripting for that. Just use a ordinary date-field with the format string of "MM/yy" in the header to print your "date_from" field.

The only way to pass parameter in is via the "date_from". A expression consumes either parameter or values from the data-row. As you already know, values from the data-row are accessed via "dataRow.get("name")". Expression parameter are static design-time values specified by the designer of the report. For scripts, we see no need for them, as you can change the script to change parameter values. If you want it to have it easier to maintain your script in the future, you can use standard programming techniques like putting all parameter into variables that are declared at the beginning of the file, etc.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

But then I have only one parameter, which is "date_from" which is the starting date, and other dates are generated by adding days to the "date_from" parameter. How do I add days without using scripts?

You could use a formula instead. Much easier to read.

=DATEVALUE([date_from] + 1)

adds one day to your date.

You would still have to have multiple instances of that formula in your report, one for each distinct number of dates you want to add.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

That helps, but, wouldn't it be good if we have formulas in which parameters could be passed form within the reports?

Thanks.

A parameter is a design-time static value. So in any case, you will have to declare n functions if you want to have n distinct parameter values.

You could make a good and sensible case for a feature request for "Create a function library so that code does not get copied/pasted all over the report and that such complex calculations can be easily parametrized". Call it "Stored-procedures" for report scripts and formulas

Wh not create a JIRA case for it @ http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PRD