Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: LIKE clause in a Select, what is the correct syntax?

Default LIKE clause in a Select, what is the correct syntax?

I'm sure it is easy but I was not able to find the way!

I have a first Text box parameter called prmString and I have a second drop down parameter with the following SELECT :

SELECT tblCode from MyTable WHERE tblCode LIKE {prmString}

How have I to add the % needed? I tried to put it in the Post Processing Formula of the prmSting parameter:

=[cadena]&"%" : do nothing
    ={cadena}&"%" : syntax error

And what about the ' ' ???

I'm sure it is easy but I was not able to find the way!

I already was looking for this matter in the Forum... like this

Your problem lies in your query ...
    cola like concat(${param_1}, '%')
    will end up being
    cola like "value"%
    Use a post processing formula to add the % to the parameter value so that its correctly passed to the query. change your query to
    cola like ${param_1}

You can define the post processing formula where you set up the parameter initially. Good luck!

Thanks in advance!

First and foremost: All parameter in SQL datasources must be written as ${parameterName}. The syntax without the dollar will not be accepted by the reporting engine.

As said in your quoted text:

Either use the "CONCAT" SQL function to add the "%" to your parameter via your SQL query.
    That is the easiest solution.

or

declare a hidden parameter (name it "param_1a", for instance) after your parameter declaration for "param_1". Note that you can reorder parmater in the tree via the "move forward/backward" option in the context menu. In that hidden parameter use the post-processing formula

=[param_1] & "%"

and in your SQL query then use the "param_1a" as your value for the like condition.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Thanks for your answer!

But I'm still confused. If I put the "%" in the Select clause I get an error, I tried different expressions (concat, concatenate, with ', with ",...)

So I followed your instructions about the hidden parameter. I get no errors, but the Select clause with the LIKE condition is always empty.

What I'm doing wrong?