Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Newbie Needs Help

Default Newbie Needs Help

I have downloaded the Windows 4.30 version(open source version of PDI) zipped file from sourceforge. I have two questions:

1) What are the install procedures for the zipped file? I assume one extracts the contents to a staging folder then runs one or more bat / exe files and it goes thru an install wizard to install in the Windows Program folder as default? Yes/No?

2) From what I have heard there appears to be an issue with MySQL JDBC as Kettle/Spoon does not come with the JDBC driver. I have the jar for my version of MySQL and was wondering where to copy the jar file to PDI once it is installed?

thanks in advance for everyone's patience and understanding.

Joe

Hi and welcome to the PDI-community

re 1:
    Just unzip the ZIP-archive.
    The batch-files to be found in the archive (spoon.bat, kitchen.bat, pan,bat) are directly runnable and the whole program does not start/require an installation procedure.

re 2:
    Once you unzipped the PDI archive, locate the folder "libext\JDBC" and drop all your JDBC-Driver JARs in that folder. You will then need to restart PDI (Spoon) in order to make the drivers
    available for PDI.

Just some words about the Batch-Files:

spoon.bat: You will use this one to design your transformations/jobs. (this is the main program )

pan/kitchen.bat: these batch-files will be used to schedule/run existing PDI-routines (transformations: pan; jobs: kitchen) from command-line without GUI (great for scheduling them via the Windows "Scheduled tasks")

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for the concise and correct instructions. I have kettle up and running on my workstation, however, I still cannot connect to my local MySQL. I located the jar file in MySQL in the MySQL Connector J folder and copied it into the JDBC subfolder as instructed and rebooted kettle. Then I went into the database view and used the connection wizard and when I tested the connection I got the following:

Error connecting to database [MySQL] : org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException:
    Error occured while trying to connect to the database

Exception while loading class
    org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver

org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException:
    Error occured while trying to connect to the database

Exception while loading class
    org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver

at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.normalConnect(Database.java:368)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.d

Am I missing something?

Good morning,

well, this sounds as if the driver-class PDI is using (org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver) is not included in the JAR-File which you put into the JDBC folder.
    On my machine I currently have a PDI 4.1 installed. In the JDBC folder, I have my "mysql-connector-java-3.1.14-bin.jar" and in this file (open it with any ZIP-Program, e.g. 7-zip) I can find my driver classes.

So maybe your JAR-File is corrupt (this should become obvious upon opening the file with a ZIP-Tool --> in this case: download a new driver jar) or the class-names of the drivers have changed.
    If this is the case, you might still be able to configure your database access by using JNDI.
    In order to do this:
    Locate the file "jdbc.properties" in the $PDI/simple-jndi folder.
    In this file, you will find several lines, like:

Hibernate/type=javax.sql.DataSource
    Hibernate/driver=org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver
    Hibernate/url=jdbc:hsqldb:hsql://localhost/hibernate
    Hibernate/user=hibuser
    Hibernate/password=password

The part before the "/" is the JNDI-Name (think of it as a kind of DNS-System, used to resolve JNDI-Names to JDBC-Datasources), put the same value for all lines, like:
    mydatabase/...

The "/type" will not be changed, as you want to configure a DataSource.
    The "/driver" points to a valid JDBC-Driver Classname (like org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver or com.mysql.jdbc.Driver; if unsure: google for "<database> JDBC driverclass" )
    The "/url" must contain a valid JDBC-URL (these values depend stongly on the type of database you are using... for MySQL, it is something like: jdbc:mysql://localhost/somedatabase; again: If unsure: google )

As for "/username" and "/password"... pretty obvious

Cheers,

Tom

The most current version of the MySQL Connector/J works with MySQL up from MySQL Server 4.1

http://www.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/

The error message given above I can produce at will by removing the driver jar from the libext folder.

I would double check, that the jar file was copied to the libext folder, and not the tar.gz or zip file.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks to all who responded. Yes, I finally was able to get Kettle to connect to MySQL. I had fat fingered and copied the wrong jar file and did not double check it in my haste. So far I really like this application. I have used Prism Warehouse Executive, DataStage and OWB in the past and Kettle appears to be head and shoulders above them.